89 wines were submitted for this competition from Appellations throughout California and the judging took place on Monday, May 6, 2013.
With judging complete the public is invited to taste many of the award winning wines, while enjoying live music and small bites on June 8, 2013, at the First Blush Tasting, being held in Napa at The Meritage Resort and Spa from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
89 shades of California rosé were entered into two categories: “Dry” and “On the Sweeter Side.” The professional judges blindly evaluated and judged all submitted wines based upon factors including: wine clarity, aroma, color and overall appearance, balance, acidity, structure, fruitiness and varietal typicity. Plus whether or not the entered wines would be well received by consumers. When judging was complete there were 79 entries in the “Dry” category, with three winning double gold and six were given gold medals. 31 received silver medals and 19 bronze medals were given. There were 10 entries in the “On the Sweeter Side” category, one received a double gold, while six were awarded silver medals.
The competition director was Bob Ecker, noted wine/travel journalist and wine judge, and each wine was judged by five judges with extensive experience in the wine industry. Judges included:
• Michael Dellar has been involved with wine for over 40 years, serving as a panel member for Connoisseurs’ Guide to California Wine, as a judge for the San Francisco Fair Fine Wine Competition and as an award - winning restaurateur and co-owner of the Lark Creek Restaurant Group.
• Lamar Engel is a Canadian born wine enthusiast who now resides in Napa, California. Once a touring musician, he is now an Advanced Certified Sommelier through the Court of Masters
• Denise Gill has a broad wine industry background spanning over 20 years and currently at Ancient Oak Cellars as Director of Sales and Hospitality. She has judged professional wine competitions including California State Fair, El Dorado and San Francisco Chronicle.
• Jeffrey Miller is a winemaker for Artisan Family of Wines, located in Suisun Valley. Miller is also an attorney living in Napa.
• Christopher Sawyer is an internationally-renowned sommelier, wine journalist, consultant, and public speaker, Christopher Sawyer travels the world following trends in wine and participating as a judge in international wine competitions.
The top winner in the Dry Rosé category was Jelly Jar Wines, while the top award for “On the Sweeter Side” was given to Ménage à Trois by Trinchero Family Estates. Many of the award winning California rosé wines, including all that were awarded Double Gold and Gold will be served at the June 8, 2013 public tasting.
Tickets are available from Cellar Pass for $25, a portion of each ticket sale will be donated to Napa’s Cope Family Center, a nonprofit that provides a full range of parent education and family support services, giving parents get the skills necessary to nurture a healthy and happy family. Each ticket includes wine tasting from approximately 30 wineries, small bites from the chefs at The Meritage Resort and Spa, Fish Story, Silverado Cooking School and more, plus live music. Special rates are available for event attendees the night of June 8 at The Meritage Resort and Spa. Reservations can be made by calling (866) 370-NAPA. For complete information and tickets please visit http://themeritageresort.com/napa-valley-restaurants/june-wine-tasting-event.