Over 700 aviation professionals were gathered to witness the presentation of the awards and to take part in the 11th Routes Asia – the largest route development event for the entire Asia region.
The Routes Airport Marketing Awards recognise and reward the highest standards of marketing activities undertaken by airports. The 2013 awards will see a number of innovations including taking a blended approach to the nomination process, meaning the final nominees will include a number of airports who will be shortlisted using our online voting form together with a number of airports who have been selected by a panel of industry experts drawn from the airline network planning community. This year the awards were split into two categories based on the size of the airport and also a new tourism award for best destination marketing campaign by a tourism authority.
The winner, Changi Airport Group, continues to demonstrate their detailed route development activities and are pushing the boundaries in terms of initiatives. 2012 was a record breaking year for Changi as for the first time in 31 years of operating they welcomed over 50 million passengers through the airport. Changi has also managed to secure five new air services in 2012 bringing their total of weekly scheduled flights up to 6,482. Their ‘Changi Connects’ product, which was launched earlier this year, is a unique product which passengers can purchase and allows bags to be through connected, even if the airlines are not partners.
Changi were also named as the winner from the over 20 million passengers category with Clark International Airport Corporation (CIAC) ranked top from the under 20 million passengers category. Tourism Australia was honoured as the winner of the first Routes Asia Destination Marketing Award.
As overall winner of this regional heat, Changi Airport Group will be automatically shortlisted for the World Routes Airport Marketing Awards which will take place at the event in Las Vegas, 5th – 8th October 2013. Changi join San Diego International Airport, who were announced as overall winner of the Americas heat last month.
The full list of companies shortlisted under each award category was as follows:
Over 20 Million Passengers
- Changi Airport Group - Winner
- Delhi International Airport Pvt Ltd – Highly Commended
- Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CDIA) – Highly Commended
- Beijing Capital International Airport Co. Ltd.
- Soekarno - Hatta International Airport
Under 20 Million Passengers
- Clark International Airport Corporation (CIAC) - Winner
- Auckland International Airport – Highly Commended
- Bangalore International Airport GMR
- Hyderabad International Airport
- Juanda - Surabaya International Airport
- Kansai International Airport
- Siem Reap Airport
Destination Marketing Award
- Tourism Australia - Winner
- Philippine Department of Tourism – Highly Commended
- Okinawa Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Singapore Tourism Board
- Tourism New Zealand