This is the sixth “best alliance” honour oneworld has received in major international industry award schemes in the past year, a record for any global airline alliance – and it comes as oneworld undergoes the biggest expansion programme in its history.
Already in the past 12 months, oneworld has been named best airline alliance in:
- The 2013 World Airline Awards, staged by the Skytrax airline quality ratings agency.
- Global Traveler’s GT Tested Reader Survey 2012 Awards for the third year running.
- World Travel Awards 2012 for the 10th consecutive year.
- Australian Business Traveller 2012 for the second year running.
- The 2012 debut alliance Flight Stats On-Time Performance Awards.
The Business Traveller award – which oneworld last won in 2005 – was presented at a ceremony in London. oneworld Vice-President Corporate Communications received the trophy on behalf of the alliance from BBC TV news anchor Fiona Bruce.
oneworld members also flew high in the individual airline categories of the Business Traveller 2013 awards.
British Airways took the overall top title as Best Airline, with Qatar Airways, which will join oneworld on 30 October, and Cathay Pacific also placed in the top five.
British Airways also took top honours as Best Shorthaul Airline, Best First Class, Best Frequent Flyer Programme and Best Airport Lounge. Qatar Airways took the award for Best Business Class.
The awards, widely recognised as a benchmark for excellence, are based on a vote by readers of Business Traveller magazine – which has editions for the UK, USA, Asia-Pacific, Germany, Middle East, China, Africa, Hungary, Denmark and Poland – with the results authenticated by an independent auditing company.