Japan’s leading and only 5-star airline; All Nippon Airways and Toyota Group’s components subsidiary; Toyota Boshoku Corporation have teamed up to develop new economy class seats to offer more comfort with better quality products. Passengers will start to experience the difference beginning June 2015.
The project brought together ANA’s experience and expertise in the aviation sector, with Toyota Boshoku’s high-quality craftsmanship and manufacturing capabilities, which have been refined over decades of experience providing seats for a variety of Toyota’s automobile lines. The result is a passenger aircraft seat that will leave customers a lasting impression of ANA’s commitment to quality, value and comfort.
ANA plans to have installed a total of 1,560 seats across six Boeing 767-300 aircraft.
New Seat Specifications (B767-300):
Seat width: 17.5 inches (44.45 cm)
Seat pitch: 31 inches (78.74 cm)
Abreast: 7 (2-3-2)
The new seat was ergonomically developed for comfort across a wide range of body sizes and types, based on Toyota Boshoku’s experience designing seats for customers around the world, which included compact, luxury and racing cars.
- Based on the idea that support is key to a passenger’s comfort, the seat is structured to limit muscle fatigue around the hip and maintain a relaxing posture by firmly supporting the pelvis
- The height, length and angle of the seat and backrest were designed to evenly distribute pressure on the body and accommodate any body structure
- The design and position of the tray tables and armrests were achieved through a range of tests accounting for multiple angles to determine ideal height and natural contour to accommodate for a variety of body types
- The rounded edges of the headrest provide a sense of openness that widens the passenger’s field of view.
- Fabric is used at the passenger eye-level to contribute a soft and welcoming atmosphere.