SAS becomes the first European airline flying the new long-haul Airbus A330-300 Enhanced which flies today from Copenhagen to Chicago. SAS’s thirteenth and newest long-haul aircraft, Tore Viking, is flying from Copenhagen to Chicago on Monday, September 21, with a departure time of 3.40pm. This is the first of four new A330-300 Enhanced that will be added to the SAS fleet over the next six months. Another aircraft will be delivered in September and the remaining two in 2016.
From 2018, deliveries will also commence of SAS’s new Airbus A350-900. The new aircraft enable SAS to improve its offering to customers and to fly longer distances with lower fuel consumption.
The first new A330-300 Enhanced will the first month operate the route between Copenhagen and Chicago and will then fly from Stockholm to Hong Kong and Chicago.
On September 10, SAS launched a new route between Stockholm and Hong Kong, and in March 2016 SAS will be launching a new route between Stockholm and Los Angeles. In the fall of 2016, the new route to Miami from Oslo and Copenhagen will begin operating.
Facts about the Airbus A330-300 Enhanced
• Delivery of four A330-300 Enhanced in 2015/2016; two aircraft in September 2015, one in February 2016, and one in May 2016
• Significantly improved range compared with the A330 (10,400 km compared with 9,600 km)
• Maximum weight 242 tonnes
• 262 seats: 32 SAS Business, 56 SAS Plus and 174 SAS Go
• 2% lower fuel consumption than the A330