Cunard has commenced its 175th anniversary year with a spectacular start, as fireworks and marching bands marked the departure of Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth on their World Voyages this weekend.
A magnificent year of celebrations is planned, with special features on board, a top-flight line-up of celebrity speakers and a series of World Class events and commemorative sailings in place for 2015.
Flagship Queen Mary 2 and sister ship Queen Elizabeth took centre stage in Southampton on Saturday as the two Queens embarked on their 2015 World Voyages. Joining guests on board were acclaimed British actress, Celia Imrie (aboard Queen Mary 2), and former chief news correspondent for the BBC, Kate Adie (aboard Queen Elizabeth), as part of Cunard’s acclaimed Insights speaker programme, featuring high-calibre presenters throughout the year. Further leading lights, including statesmen, authors, actresses, poets and politicians, will share their knowledge, stories and experiences with passengers on board Cunard’s ships during this anniversary year.
The 175th anniversary will be celebrated across all three Cunard ships during the year, with
• Gala dinners with souvenir menus on cruises of more than four nights
• “Black, Red and Gold” themed Balls in the Queens Room aboard each ship
• 175th themed commemorative drinks, from special blends of wine to craft beers, plus 175th themed cakes and deserts at afternoon tea and formal dinners.
• Themed entertainment, including 175th anniversary quizzes and the quirky side of Cunard’s history presented by the RADA theatre group travelling aboard Queen Mary 2’s transatlantic crossings
• Specially created 175th merchandise, from collectible posters to teddy bears and polo shirts to cufflinks and 18 carat Clogue gold jewellery
• Mail posted on board with be over-stamped with the 175th anniversary logo
• In cabin stationery – postcards, writing paper and envelopes – will display the 175th anniversary logo