Launching tomorrow, 6 February, the Dubai Food Festival 2015 will kick off with the immensely successful Beach Canteen, which will run throughout its duration (6 – 28 February). Dubai Food Festival showcases the Emirate’s emergence as a gastronomy destination through a programme of food-related consumer and trade events, activities, promotions and appearances by food celebrities.
The Beach Canteen will welcome the Denver-based The Inventing Room and its Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory-inspired culinary creations (13 – 14 February), as well as a talk from award-winning street food photographer, Penny De Los Santos (21 February). The extensive and fun-for-all-the-family programme also includes local DJ sets, urban yoga and open mic sessions for foodies who love a sing-along.
Filmgoers and foodies of all ages can look forward to Food & Film, which for the first time in the Middle East will fuse the longstanding link between food and storytelling, pairing culinary-inspired movies with the food upon which their plots are based. Launching on 8 February at Jumeirah Lakes Towers Park, Food & Film will screen 11 food-inspired free to view films, starting with 2014 American comedy drama, Chef. Highlighting the adventures of Carl (Jon Favreau) as he becomes the fully fledged chef of his own food truck, viewers can expect an accompaniment of All-American dishes. Further screenings include The Indian-inspired, The Hundred-Foot Journey (11 February at Beach Canteen) and Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon’s comedic, The Trip (18 February at Beach Canteen).
The Festival’s Dine On The Creek will delight diners as international celebrity chefs bring their renowned cuisines aboard the Emirate’s iconic dhows. Saudi Arabian super chef, Yousef Khumayes, will be serving up traditional delights aboard the Rustar Restaurant Dhow on 10 February (90AED per head), while award-winning Indian chef Sanjeev Kapoor (18 February, 185AED per head) and Queen of the Arabic Kitchen, Manal Al-Alem (23 February, 185AED per head), will serve up sensational dishes aboard the Al Mansour Restaurant Dhow.
Another first for the region comes in the form of the Festival’s 2015 Middle East Food & Travel Blogger Conference. A one-day interactive event and platform for bloggers to network and share experiences, invitees will have the opportunity to hear from the biggest names in the social media industry including Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, as well as come together to discuss the blogging industry and their lifestyle, food and travel interests (20 February, A4 Space and Gulf Photo Plus, Alserkal Avenue).
The inaugural day of the Dubai Food Festival (6 February) will also see the new addition of the popular Ripe Food & Craft Market, as it launches its Deli Section at Zabeel Park. Offering organic food, arts, crafts and fashion, the farmers market’s new Deli Section will showcase fresh bread, local cheese, olive oils, vinegars and more.
Key Festival Dates and Venues
- Beach Canteen, 6 – 28 February, Kite Beach, Jumeirah
- Ripe Food & Craft Market – Deli Section Launch, 6 February, Zabeel Park
- Food & Film, 8 – 28 February, Various outdoor locations throughout the city
- Food Truck Convoy, 8 – 12 February, 15 – 19 February, 22 – 26 February – Emaar Boulevard, Academic City, JLT Park, Knowledge Village, Studio City
- Gulfood, 8 – 12 February, Dubai World Trade Center
- Mystery Dining Tours, 9, 14, 17, 18, 23 February, Various locations
- Dine On The Creek, 10, 18 and 23 February, Dubai Creek
- Dubai Food Carnival, 12 – 14 February, Dubai International Marine Club
- Taste of Peru, 12 – 14 February, Madinat Jumeirah Amphitheatre
- Street Food Photography Exhibition, Dates throughout February, Dubai Airport
- Global Restaurant Investment Forum, 16 – 18 February, Conrad Dubai
- 2015 Middle East Food & Travel Blogger Conference, 20 February, A4 Space and Gulf Photo Plus, Alserkal Avenue
- Fatafeat Kitchen, 20 – 21 February, Lafayette Gourmet, Galeries Lafayette, The Dubai Mall
- Street Nights, 20 – 21 February, Street 4B, Al Quoz
- Masala! Food Fair, 20 – 21 February, Zabeel Park
- What’s On Black Hat Guide Launch, 22 February, Cargo – Pier 7
- Made In Dubai, 27 – 28 February, Zabeel Park
- Urban Farm, 28 February – Creekside, Bur Dubai
The Dubai Food Festival also has a Flavour Matching App; a deliciously addictive matching game to test players’ culinary memory and reflexes. The App is live on the Dubai Food Festival 2015 Facebook Page from 1 – 15 February 2015. Huge prizes are on offer, including an iPhone 6, iPod Nano, and three tickets to Dine On The Creek.
For more information visit www.dubaifoodfestival.com or find DFF on social media, using the hashtag #DubaiFoodFest