The Rail Delivery Group, the leadership group for Britain’s railway industry, is happy that many of its franchising priorities are included in the Brown Review report.
The Rail Delivery Group submitted franchising priorities to the independent review of franchising chaired by Richard Brown in November 2012. Since that time the Rail Delivery Group and its members have held detailed discussions with the Department for Transport regarding the timing and content of the franchising programme.
The announcement by the Rt. Hon. Patrick McLoughlin MP, Secretary of State for Transport, includes:
- A full, detailed and sustainable franchising programme of three to four competitions a year over the next eight years
- The immediate start of the competition for the East Coast franchise
- The intention to exercise a number of contractual extensions with current operators and also to negotiate a series of direct awards with current operators
- The creation of a Franchise Advisory Panel, headed by Richard Brown
- A revised franchising policy statement