In anticipation of the busiest travel week of the year, America’s Railroad® adds extra trains and additional capacity on several routes in the Northeast, the Midwest, and the West Coast to accommodate the surge of holiday travelers.
More seats will be added to the Amtrak San Joaquin, Pacific Surfliner and Capitol Corridor routes. The Pacific Surfliner trains will add 8,000 seats and require advanced reservations beginning Monday, Nov. 23, through Sunday, Nov. 29. One additional northbound Pacific Surfliner train will be added between San Diego and Los Angeles on Thursday, Nov. 26 and Monday, Nov. 30, which will continue to Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, and one additional southbound train will be added between Los Angeles and San Diego on Wednesday, Nov. 25 and Sunday, Nov. 29, providing more options for the busiest travel days of the year. More than 700 seats will be added to the Capitol Corridor service beginning Tuesday, Nov. 24, through Sunday, Nov. 29. The San Joaquin service will add 600 seats beginning Wednesday, Nov. 25, through Sunday, Nov. 29.
Amtrak will also be increasing the number of reserved Thruway buses on its busiest California routes, including Martinez-Arcata, Sacramento-Stockton, Bakersfield-Los Angeles, and Santa Barbara-San Luis Obispo-San Jose.
These additional tips will help to ensure a smooth trip:
• Avoid the Rush: The busiest travel days are the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving and the Sunday after the holiday. Other than Thanksgiving Day, morning trains typically have more available seats than those in the afternoon or evening.
Arrive Early: Allow plenty of time at stations prior to departure – at least 45 minutes beforehand if picking up tickets. Arrange for pre-boarding if you need extra time or assistance and use Amtrak Red Cap agents to help you with your baggage.
• Purchasing Tickets: eTicketing is enabled on every train route throughout the nation. Travelers may purchase tickets early using Amtrak.com, Quik-Trak or ticket windows at staffed stations (where available), on Amtrak mobile app, or by calling 800-USA-RAIL.
• Check Train Schedules: Make sure to check holiday train schedules prior to arriving at the station with a helpful, online-only timetable provided by Amtrak.
• Carry Photo ID: Passengers are required to show valid photo identification when purchasing tickets. Make sure to carry valid photo ID at all times, as it may be requested aboard trains.
• Be Safe: Be aware of your surroundings, stand back from the edge of the platform, do not leave your bags unattended, and watch your step when boarding or leaving the train or when walking between cars when the train is in motion.
• 2+2 = Free: Amtrak has the friendliest baggage policy in the travel industry. Passengers can bring two bags and two carry-ons, collectively weighing up to 150 pounds, for free. Excess baggage will cost $20.
Passengers can anticipate exceptionally heavy travel the Wednesday before and the Sunday after Thanksgiving so reservations for these days should be made as soon as possible.