The Archery World Cup has welcomed over 300 archers from 46 countries for a week-long competition set against Antalya’s stunning Mediterranean backdrop.
Speaking in Antalya, Singapore archer Pang Toh Jin said: “it is one of the most beautiful competitions that I have taken part in. I believe all athletes are delighted to shoot here, so close to the sea but protected from the wind.”
French archer, Pascale Lebecque, added, "Antalya has been a stage for the Archery World Cup for several years and they have really honed the organisation of the event. Conditions for competition, accommodation and transport work really well. We do not feel any of the problems currently happening in Turkey."
The Archery World Cup comes just before Turkey hosts three more major international sporting events: this weekend the ITU European Triathlon Championships conclude in Alanya, before the FIFA Under 20 World Cup and the 2013 Mediterranean Games in Mersin start next week. Hosting these events reinforces Turkey’s increasingly prominent position in world sport and provides invaluable experience should Istanbul be successful in their bid to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
World Archery President and Turkish IOC member, Professor Uğur Erdener, said, “It is wonderful to be able to host Stage 2 of the Archery World Cup in Turkey. The atmosphere here has been excellent. Everything has been so well organised, that the athletes know that they can relax and focus on competing, which has been reflected in the world-class performances we have seen so far.
“Archery is a key example of the growth Turkey has seen in sports participation over the last decade. Participation in sport will only continue to grow as our government invests $500 million a year in sports development and participation programmes as part of our National Sports Plan.”
The second stage of the Archery World Cup concluded in Antalya on Sunday 16 June.