The two-time Spanish Open venue, and European Tour Destination, has also been ranked #3 in the Continental European list and has risen six places to #92 in the website’s World Top 100 ratings, one of only two Spanish courses featured this year.
Andy Newmarch of Top100GolfCourses.co.uk commented: “Based on many factors, we think we have got it right again – the Stadium Course's variation, elevation changes and inspiring tee-shots, coupled with an exacting test of both long and short games made the decision relatively simple in the end. The Stadium Course is a must play and you will not be disappointed.”
Over the past two years, PGA Catalunya Resort’s Stadium Course has undergone significant enhancements under the supervision of designers Neil Coles MBE and Ángel Gallardo, which have included:
- Construction of seven new championship tees
- Lengthening of the course to 6,705 metres (7,333 yards)
- Tapering the rough of the iconic, lakeside 3rd green to make a narrower entrance, and extending the back of the green into the lake to bring the water more into play, to produce a tougher challenge
- Lowering the cut of the rough around the expansive par-3 11th green to collar length, to create more of an island green
- Planting 10 large cork trees to the right of the 18th fairway to add definition and tighten the landing area
- Adding green-guarding bunkers to create more challenging approaches on selected holes
These enhancements follow an extensive upgrade in 2010/11 when the grass type on the fairways was switched to resilient, drought-resistant Bermuda grass – the same variety used at Augusta National, home of the US Masters.
This latest accolade follows PGA Catalunya Resort’s ranking in Golf World magazine, which placed the 6,705-metre course at #5 in its new Continental European classification, one of the oldest and most authoritative in European golf – up three places from its previous listing – which also made it the highest ranked course in Spain.
Julio Delgado, Chief Executive Officer of PGA Catalunya Resort, added: “These latest accolades underline the growing reputation of PGA Catalunya Resort on the global golf stage. However, we will not rest on our laurels – we plan further investments in the future to safeguard our position as one of golf’s must-experience destinations.”
For more information about PGA Catalunya Resort visit: www.pgacatalunya.com