United Airlines became the first airline to offer customers Uber transportation services via its mobile app, further enabling travelers to use the United app for services throughout their entire travel experience.
Customers with iOS and Android mobile devices may access Uber ground transportation information in the United app's menu or in the "My Reservations" card with a current reservation. The app will display Uber information, including types of available vehicles, estimated wait times and prices. After customers select a ride, the United app will automatically transfer them to the Uber app or the Uber website to sign up for an account to complete the transaction.
Customers who sign up for Uber via the United app and complete their first transaction will receive 1,000 MileagePlus award miles for a limited time.
In addition to accessing ground transportation options and other features, customers can use the United mobile app on iOS and Android devices to do the following:
- Book United flights, including award travel
- Scan a valid passport to check in for international flights
- Store mobile boarding passes for easy access at security and during boarding
- Select seats and choose Economy Plus seating
- Check the status of an upgrade and view inflight amenities
- Access United Club information and purchase one-time passes
In July, United became the first U.S. carrier to offer customers the ability to scan their passports to check in for international flights via their iOS and Android mobile devices. Later this year, United will begin to introduce its all-new united.com website, providing customers a simplified, clearer and faster user experience.