Florida tops the list of top 10 beaches in the US with 4 beaches, followed by Hawaii with 3 beaches.
A beach in Hawaii far from the tourist crowds has been named America’s best beach for 2014.
For more than 23 years, Dr. Stephen Leatherman; known as Dr. Beach has reviewed, evaluated, and rated beaches and coastal areas throughout the world. Dr. Beach selected Kanhanamoku Beach as 2014’s best beach in the US. Kanhanamoku Beach, which is located at the west end of Waikiki Beach, is widest beach on this stretch of famous sands and protected by an offshore coral reef, making it a good beach for families with children. Official lifeguards are not present, but the beach and pool concessionaires have lifeguard training. The nearby Duke Kahanamoku Lagoon is also a favorite bathing and swimming spot. Public access is via Kalia Road and Pahoa Place. Surprising to most visitors, this beautiful beach where smoking is not permitted, was created more than half a century ago by dredging through the shallow reef and importing sand.
Here are the top 10 beaches in the US according to Dr. Beach:
1. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Barefoot Beach Bonita Springs, Florida
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida
4. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park Oahu, Hawaii
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
6. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
7. Cape Florida State Park Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Coast Guard Beach Cape Cod, Massachusetts
9. Beachwalker Park Kiawah Island, South Carolina
10. Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Florida