United States’ National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO) announced international outbound travel statistics for January 2016. U.S. citizen outbound totaled 5.3 million travelers for the first month of 2016.
January 2016/2015 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 2.3 million, up nine percent in January.
Regional results were:
- Europe, 615,000 travelers, up five percent
- Caribbean, 589,000 travelers, up five percent
- Asia, 434,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Central America, 259,000 travelers, up 16 percent
- Middle East, 178,000 travelers, up 10 percent
- South America, 154,000 travelers, up 19 percent
- Oceania, 58,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Africa, 27,000 travelers, up six percent
U.S. travel to North American markets totaled 3.0 million, up 10 percent in January.
- Mexico, 2.489 million travelers, up 11 percent; air travel (704,000) was up 15 percent. ‘Tourist’ travels up 14 percent and ‘Border 1+ nights’ up seven percent.
- Canada, 526,000 travelers, up 10 percent; air travel (193,000) up 12 percent
January 2016 Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 43 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 12 percent share;
- Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
- Asia, an eight percent share;
- Central America, a five percent share;
- Middle East, a three percent share;
- South America, a three percent share;
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost a one percent share
North American markets received 57 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel, up one percentage point from January 2015.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 47 percent share; and
- Canada a 10 percent share.
For detailed information and data tables please visit: