There is no doubt that in the world of blogging, travel blogging is big news.
When you think that National Geographic Travel in the USA has an audience of almost 30 million, the figures tell you all you need to know. The travel blogging sector is a rich and varied landscape with top blogs like Dan Flying Solo or A Broken Backpack heading the way. With digital travel content being predicted to see double digit growth year on year, it seems writing about the fabulous places you have visited will always be popular with the general public.
What exactly is travel blogging?
The rapid rise of this type of online content might leave you wondering just what it is all about. In simple terms, travel blogging is when individuals travel the globe and then write about their experiences on their blog. There are also travel blogs that tell you in more general terms about the best places to visit or news around popular tourist destinations. All such blogs give you direct access to first-hand information on somewhere you may be thinking of visiting.
Why has it become so popular over time?
As the internet has grown and developed people have been writing online about their travels. Here are a few reasons why this type of online activity has seen a real boom in recent years:
- It pays! – for many of the people who write travel blogs, it is also their career. Affiliate marketing and Google AdWords can bring in money via the blog itself while external sponsorship can also make serious money for the blogger. Although this is not the case for all travel blogs, the possibility of being paid to travel the world is certainly why so many have moved to this sector.
- Escapism – the reason travel blogs have become such a hit with the public is the escapism they offer. When you visit a travel blog, you are instantly transported from your normal life to whichever exotic destination you are reading about. That gives you a positive feeling and cheers you up which is why so many people love reading them.
- Fresh content – another reason that travel blogging has risen rapidly recently is that the best examples give a unique take on travelling the globe with fresh, funny content. Many make innovative online videos via an online animator to create popular content. With video being expected to make up over 80% of internet traffic by 2021, this is a smart move for any kind of blogger.
- Education – all humans have a natural urge to learn about other countries and cultures. Travel blogging fills that need by telling you about different cultures and what goes on in other countries. This is especially helpful if you are reading about a country that you will never visit personally but still want to know something about.
- Encourages travel – of course, you may actually be lucky and loaded enough to travel to different countries across the world. Travel blogging plays a vital role here as it can actually encourage travel where you might have been nervous and reticent before. By showing what other places are really like, travel blogs can help make you feel comfortable enough to go there. The other great bonus with encouraging more travel is that you will have a better understanding of different cultures when you return.
- Documents of historical events – one other key reason that travel blogging has exploded recently is the channel it offers to record historical events. As blogging is free and easy, it allows anyone to make sure important events or happenings are recorded for posterity. That kind of direct, open access is important as we head into the future to make sure nothing is missed and that important events are not swept under the carpet.
Travel blogging will continue to progress
With such a vibrant and rich community, it would seem that travel blogging will only continue to gain popularity in the future. With there being a blog for everyone to enjoy, wherever they fancy going, it is an area within blogging that appeals to so many people. The sense of happiness and escapism they evoke along with the way they give access to first-hand experiences is also at the heart of why so many people check them out. Digital travel content is only predicted to become a more integral part of our lives in years to come and travel blogs will surely play a key role in that.