"Since 2008, the number of available rooms within the 5 'branded' segments has increased by 60%, by almost 4,000 rooms, whilst the demand (occupied rooms) has increased by 50%. Essentially supply and demand are keeping pace with one another – but at the expense of average rate (ADR) – which has dropped by 20% from 2008," said David Jenkins, Head of Jones Lang LaSalle' Hotels & Hospitality Group, Russia & CIS.
"This allows us to forecast going forward further rate compression as supply will increase dramatically in the coming 5 years. Jones Lang LaSalle's Hotels & Hospitality Group estimates that an amazing 13,000 new hotel rooms could be delivered to the Moscow market up to 2018," - David Jenkins predicted.
All the focus now is, unsurprisingly, on Sochi and the Winter Olympics. The major brands mostly all have hotels opening in the coming weeks and months prior to the Games (Hyatt, Accor, Swissotel, Radisson, Interstate, Marriott, Capella, etc).
New hotels across all segments in Moscow include:
· Four Seasons 'Hotel Moskva' – 180 room luxury hotel;
· Marriott New Arbat – 234 room upper upscale hotel;
· Radisson Sheremetyevo – 379 rooms upscale airport hotel with extensive meeting facilities.
The Russian regions will see a boost in new openings too, with some of the more notable possible openings being:
· St. Petersburg – Park Inn Pulkovo Airport, 200 room midscale airport hotel, and Hilton & Hampton by Hilton ExpoForum St. Petersburg, Upscale and economy hotels – app. 400 rooms.
· Rostov-On-Don – Sheraton, 307 room upscale hotel, and Hyatt Regency, 189 room upper upscale hotel.
· Hilton Garden Inn, Volgograd (with Interstate), app. 150 rooms.
· 4 Points by Sheraton Kaluga, 172 room upper midscale hotel.
· Holiday Inn Express in Samara and Voronezh, app. 150 rooms each.
· Park Inn Volgograd, 150 room midscale hotel.
· Mercure Lipetsk, 184 room upper midscale hotel.
· Radisson Chelyabinsk, 211 room upscale hotel.
· Radisson Gelendzhik, 274 room upscale resort hotel.
· Hyatt Regency Vladivostok, 253 room upper upscale hotel.