Due to the overwhelming response received from Travel Agencies, Cunard increased the number of winners.
Originally, the contest was to award a total of $100,000, dispersed as two $10,000 Grand Prizes and sixteen $5,000 prizes. However, because of the astounding response and quality of entries, the contest judges decided to disperse more prizes, awarding two additional $10,000 Grand Prizes and five additional $5,000 prizes. A total of four Travel Agencies each won the $10,000 Grand Prize, and a total of 22 Agencies each won the $5,000 prize, for a new grand total giveaway of $150,000.
“The participation and creativity far exceeded our expectations for this unique travel agent sales and marketing promotion,” said Brian O’Connor, vice president of sales, North America, for Cunard Line. “We are delighted to see the excitement and enthusiasm Travel Agencies bring to promoting Cunard Line to their clients and prospective clients.”
The Travel Agencies awarded the $10,000 Grand Prize are as follows:
• AAA Mid-Atlantic
• Cruise Planners / American Express
• Expedia CruiseShipCenter – Kingsway
• Montrose Travel
The Travel Agencies awarded the $5,000 Grand Prize are as follows:
• AAA Travel – Fort Myers
• AAA Travel – Washington
• AAA Western & Central New York – Cicero
• AAA Western & Central New York – Horizon Club Tours
• Ballroom Latin & Swing Dance
• CAA Atlantic – Saint John
• Cruise Specialists / Luxury Travel Network
• Dancing At Sea
• Dimensions In Travel, Inc.
• Excel Cruises & Tours, LLC
• Irlam Travel
• Jubilee Tour and Travel (dba Travel Best Bets)
• Master Travel and Cruises
• Prestige Travel & Cruises / American Express
• Signature Travel Network, Inc.
• Slaydon’s Travel SVC, Inc.
• Stingray Travel / Cruise One
• Travel of America
• Travel Leaders Franchise GRP
• The Travel Siblings at Tzell Travel Group
• Worldview Travel
Contest submissions focused on one or a combination of the following key Cunard Line offerings: Transatlantic Crossings beginning this year through June 2014, 2014 Europe Voyages, 2014 World Cruises, Liners and/or Segments and Regional Voyages, or Grills Suites. Entries detailed the proposed campaign’s travel destination, theme, how funds would be spent, and how promotions would be disseminated throughout one or more marketing channels (e.g., direct mail, email, newspaper and magazine advertising, radio, banner advertising, local consumer travel show, cruise night, etc.).
Contest entries were due by 28 June 2013. All entries were reviewed by the Cunard Executive Committee, including President and Managing Director Peter Shanks; Executive Vice President for Sales, Marketing and Customer Service Jan Swartz; Vice President of North America Stanley Birge; and North American Vice President of Sales Brian O’Connor.