U.S. travel to overseas markets totaled 2.7 million, up five percent in August and seven percent for the year (21.5 million).
Regional results for August were as follows:
• Europe, 1.186 million travelers, up two percent
• Caribbean, 629,000 travelers, up 11 percent
• Asia, 342,000 travelers, up five percent
• Central America, 206,000 travelers, up six percent
• Middle East, 146,000 travelers, up seven percent
• South America, 144,000 travelers, down three percent
• Oceania, 40,000 travelers, up two percent
• Africa, 34,000 travelers, up four percent
U.S. travel to other North American markets totaled 4.1 million and was up nine percent compared to August 2013.
• Canada, 1.9 million travelers, up almost one percent. Air travel (502,000) was up six percent
• Mexico, 2.1 million travelers, up 15 percent due to a 19 percent increase in border (1+ night) travel. Air travel (518,000) was up 12 percent
Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (25.5 million) was up 13 percent.
August 2014 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 46 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
• Europe, an 18 percent share;
• Caribbean, an 11 percent share;
• Asia, a six percent share;
• Central America, a four percent share;
• Middle East, a three percent share;
• South America, a three percent share;
• Oceania, a one percent share, and
• Africa, almost one percent share
North American markets received 54 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
• U.S. travel to Mexico a 36 percent share; and
• Canada almost a 19 percent share.