The glittering ceremony, sponsored by Etihad Airways, celebrated the golf industry’s best-performing destinations, including The Algarve, Thailand, Florida, South Africa, Dubai and Costa Rica. It also recognised South African Tour star, Ernie Els, with an honorary award for his services to the game.
Staged at the historic Tarragona Plaça De Tores in Tarragona, the IAGTO Awards took place on the final night of the International Golf Travel Market, the golf tourism industry’s annual global trade show. This year’s IGTM, one of the most successful ever, saw almost 1,200 delegates from 60 countries visit the Costa Daurada region from November 11-14, 2013.
For the first time, and as the result of IAGTO’s partnership with the Golf Environment Organization (GEO), the IAGTO Awards featured a new ‘sustainability’ element, recognising golf clubs and resorts that have shown a commitment to developing a sustainable business, whilst delivering practical results.
The overall environment winner in the IAGTO/GEO Sustainability Awards was Ritz Carlton Golf Club, Orlando, Florida, USA, with category awards going to Lumine Golf Club, Costa Daurada, Spain (Efficient use of Resources); Westin La Paloma Country Club, Arizona, USA (Community Engagement) and The Tryall Club, Jamaica (Nature Conservation).
The full listing of 2014 IAGTO Award Winners is -
Golf Destination of the Year:
• Europe – The Algarve, Portugal
• Asia and Australasia – Hua Hin, Thailand
• North America – Naples, Marco Island and The Everglades, Florida, USA
• Latin America and Caribbean – Costa Rica
• Africa and Gulf States – The Garden Route, South Africa
Golf Resort of the Year:
• Europe – Thracian Cliffs Golf & Beach Resort, Bulgaria
• North America – The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay, California, USA
• Rest of the World – The Farm at Cape Kidnappers, New Zealand
IAGTO Undiscovered Golf Destination of the Year:
IAGTO Golf Tourism Supplier of the Year:
• Dubai Golf
IAGTO Honorary Award:
• Ernie Els
2014 IAGTO/GEO Sustainability Awards:
• Efficient use of Resources – Lumine Golf Club, Costa Daurada, Spain
• Community Engagement – Westin La Paloma Country Club, Arizona, USA
• Nature Conservation – The Tryall Club, Jamaica
Overall Winner for Environmental Sustainability:
• Ritz Carlton Golf Club, Orlando, Florida, USA