- Özgür Töre
A caravan of 22 life-size stone animal sculptures, each weighing up to 10,000 pounds and measuring up to 10-feet high arrives to their new home, which named America’s Largest Indoor Waterpark in Round Rock, Texas.
Kalahari Resorts and Conventions is opening America’s Largest Indoor Waterpark - Kalahari on Safari - on November 12, 2020.
The one-of-a-kind animal sculptures, including 12 elephants, seven zebras, a mother and baby rhinoceros and a cape buffalo, made the 600-mile trek on four open-air flatbed trailers from Eureka Springs, Ark., through Dallas and Auston on their way to Round Rock.
The migration concluded this weekend as the 22 stone sculptures were placed in their new home outside of the grand entrance to Kalahari Resorts and Conventions where they will welcome guests visiting this fall.
KALAHARI SAFARI SCULPTURE FACTS
- 22 life-size sculptures — 12 elephants, seven zebras, a mother and baby rhinoceros and a cape buffalo
- Weighing up to 10,000 pounds each
- Measuring up to 10-feet high
- 15 months to complete all sculptures
- Each sculpture is unique — the one-of-a-kind pieces are made of reinforced metal structures formed to create the animal shape, then coated and textured in concrete for an authentic appearance
- National Rock and Sculpture created the life-size animals. The same company has created original art pieces for the existing Kalahari properties in Wisconsin, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
KALAHARI CONSTRUCTION UPDATES
- Construction is on schedule for a November 12, 2020 opening as crews at the resort and convention center install elevators, restaurant equipment and finishes, such as carpeting and finish paint.
- America’s Largest Indoor Waterpark takes shape as construction begins on:
- 20 pools and whirlpools
- 30 waterslides
- Attractions, including FlowRider, a rock-climbing wall, 23-foot LED projection TV screen, adult grotto swim-up bar, cabanas and waterfalls
KALAHARI ROUND ROCK RESORT FACTS
- 350-acre resort complex, including three acres of outdoor pools
- 975 guest rooms
- 223,000 sq. ft. of waterpark
- 80,000 sq. ft. of fun in Tom Foolerys Adventure Park
- Five restaurants
- 10,000 sq. ft. of retail space
- 200,000 square feet of flexible meeting space for conventions and events
- Kalahari estimates hiring 700 employees in 2020. Virtual career expos are hosted every Wednesday by Workforce Solutions Rural Capital Area (WSRCA). Open positions include lifeguards, managerial staff, culinary staff and information technology work, among others.
For more information about Kalahari Resorts and Conventions, visit www.KalahariResorts.com/Texas