Spotlight on New Hotels

Tragic End to Vacation: Tourists Hospitalized After Consuming Contaminated Fish in France


A delightful vacation turned tragic for a group of tourists in Bordeaux, France, after consuming sardines at a local restaurant. Among those hospitalized, a 32-year-old woman tragically lost her life, and at least eight others were admitted due to the rare but life-threatening disease, botulism.

The incident occurred at the Tchin Tchin Wine Bar in Bordeaux. The French Health Authority has linked the outbreak to homemade sardines served at the establishment. It was confirmed that the affected patrons dined at the restaurant between September 4 and September 10.

Botulism, while not contagious, poses a significant threat. It is a severe form of poisoning caused by toxins produced by bacteria, especially when food is not appropriately stored. These toxins attack the nervous system, leading to potential paralysis. Symptoms include drooping eyelids, blurred or double vision, and facial muscle weakness.



The United Kingdom Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has acknowledged that a "small number" of British citizens affected by the incident have reported to them. Similarly, the Irish Health Service confirmed that a "few" Irish citizens affected are undergoing treatment in France. It was further revealed that the deceased woman was the wife of an Irish national.

Among the group were two American tourists, Matt Jackson and Kristy Brenner. A GoFundMe page set up by their families and friends states that their vacation in France "turned from a wonderful situation to a nightmare within hours."



The fundraising campaign for the couple has already amassed over $48,600. It has been reported that the couple is still undergoing antitoxin treatment. Doctors have confirmed that while Kristy has been discharged, Matt's reaction to botulism has been "extremely" severe, indicating a long road to recovery.


Latest Travel News

Tours & Travel Agency News

Copyright © 2023 ftnNEWS - Focus on Travel News.