American Couple dead in Mexico

Why American Couple Died in the Mexican Resort?


A couple from America has been found dead in a hotel room in the charming village of El Pescadero in the Baja California Sur state of Mexico.

The victims are identified as 28-year-old Abby Lutz and her 41-year-old boyfriend, John Heathco, according to Lutz’s stepsister, Gabrielle Slate.

The bodies were discovered on Tuesday evening (June 13) when authorities arrived at the hotel to investigate after a report was made.

“They had been sick for a few days. She had gone to the hospital to get an IV and came back to the hotel feeling good,” Gabrielle said, adding that “they had a day of enjoying their trip and doing well and then we were notified yesterday of their passings.”

Slate further revealed they had a lovely day before being notified of the death of her sister and her boyfriend.

An investigation was immediately launched to determine the cause of their death.

The autopsy report concluded that the couple was poisoned by an unknown substance, but there were no traces of violence found in the body.

The US State Department spokesman has expressed condolences to the families of the victims.

There is currently no evidence of interference or foul play in the case, with the FBI not involved in the investigation at this stage.

Henar Gil, the general manager of the Rancho Pescadero hotel, said in a statement to CNN that they had no knowledge of any potential risks to the safety or well-being of guests.

“We are truly heartbroken by this terrible tragedy,” Gil said in a statement provided to CNN by Hyatt Hotels Corporation. “Local authorities are still actively investigating the situation, and the safety and security of our guests and colleagues remains a top priority, as always.”

Gabrielle has set up a GoFundMe page to help transport the bodies back to the US and cover funeral costs.

The page describes, “While on a beautiful trip in Mexico, Abby and her boyfriend thought they had food poisoning and went to the hospital to get treatment. We were told they were feeling much better a few days later. We received a phone call saying that they had passed away peacefully in their hotel room in their sleep. We have been told it was due to improper venting of the resort and could be Carbon monoxide poisoning. Abby was supposed to meet up with her dad this week for Father’s Day and all of this is completely unexpected. We are trying to get Abby home to us so we can have the funeral she deserves. Our family would be so grateful for any help. Abby was the most beautiful soul and we will miss her so much.”

Scroll to Top